Friday, May 28, 2010

EOC - time to have some fun


Yesterday I arrived in Bulgaria with the Finnish national orienteering-team of 8 men and 8 women. The time since the middle-testrun in Lohja (PRISMA-rastit) has gone pretty well. I participated in the FOC-sprint in Kirkkonummi last Saturday. My result was 3rd in the qualify but in the A-final I made an unforgivable mistake already to the first control, and lost some 20 seconds. Then to the 10th I got lost and lost almost one minute more. I´m not happy with my final run, but after all – I didn´t expect much more than a good training and to feel how fresh my legs were in high speed, and it felt good. A couple of successful, sharp trainings in the beginning of this week gave me the confidence I wanted for EOC.
We´re staying in Hotel Les Magnolias, a really nice and relaxing place to prepare for the EOC. Today we were model-orienteering and the terrain was, as expected, a little different than in the spring when we were visiting Bulgaria on training camp. However, for me it is even better the more under-vegetation and reduced visibility there is. My distances are middle and long - Bring it on!   

A sad thing happened last week - my father passed away. He was the one who thought me how to orienteer when I was five years old and in my teens he was coaching me with training towards the top. He was really an orienteering-enthusiast with a heart burning for the sport. Everything seems to have its time.  

No comments: