Monday, May 31, 2010

Not happy with my longQ-race, but I made the cut

LONG Q (9,3 km, 330m climb and 19 controls)
Today started my EOC with long qualification race in Yasna Polyana. I was well prepared for a difficult route. My race went pretty okay in the beginning, but it felt I got stuck in the green areas all the time. To the 2nd control it was hard to find a good “path” along the dried-out ditch. On the 3rd I run a little down in the slope but it was clear the control was on the left. To the 5th I planned to run quite straight up to the bigger path, but got lost in the bushes and found myself out to the yellow opening a little stressed. My biggest miss came to the 7th when I decided to go around to the right. Or actually it would have been okay if I done as I planned. I didn´t see the smaller paths and became nervous so I went off to the left to find my contours leading straight to the flag. In reality I was running down too early, but didn´t realize it yet. After a while I knew something wasn´t right – had I missed the flag or was I running down too early?! After several stops and my head turning as a radar I decided to continue over the big nose. I found myself on the map just before I saw the 7th flag and lost some 2´30 – 3 minutes here. On the way to the 8th Bortnik caught me with 4 minutes. At first I wasn´t sure if he was running same group, but eventually it came clear to me he was. The rest of the route went as planned and running felt better and better. My result was 62´38 and place 13th in MEN-A. (17 from each of the 3 groups on to the A-finals). Fastest was Valentin Novikov RUS with 56´45.
It was very hot weather today, some 28 degrees in the shade.

No comments: